Tuesday, January 17, 2017

My Word of the Year: Joy

Isn't that a happy face!

I chose a word for this year.  I've never done that before, but I want to work on becoming more happy.  I picked the word "joy" since joy and happiness are interchangeable in the Bible according to Randy Alcorn.

Why have I decided to pursue joy?  Because, after thinking about it, I think that God wants us to be happy.

Yes, really.

I want my children to be happy; don't you?  Of course, I want their happiness to be healthy which means that they have to eat their vegetables, and I don't just feed them cookies and ice cream.  I also make them learn things in school, hard things that they don't want to deal with.  God is the same way; He wants us to be happy.  But that doesn't mean that He only gives us what we want.  He also gives us what we need, and sometimes we need some vegetables and school (suffering and hardship) in order to grow as we should.

What am I going to do about this word?  I plan to do things intentionally that make me happy.  For instance, I'm getting some music -- hymns, specifically -- to listen to because it makes me happy to listen to hymns and sing along when I know the words.  Daniel and Mary gave me candles for Christmas, and it would make me happy to light them frequently.

This weekend a couple of times I felt, um, not happy after working hard.  Maybe unappreciated.  So I thought to myself, "I'm going to do something now that will make me happy.  What can I do that will make me happy?"  I read a few pages of a good book or played a game, and it worked!  I was happier, and I was able to recharge so I could deal with my family more pleasantly.  Very nice!

Just in case you're wondering, I do not plan to use my word of the year to focus just on me and my happiness.  As a homeschooling mother, so much of my time is used to serve my family which is a wonderful thing, but I want to be more intentional about doing things for me, small things that will bring me joy.

Have you ever chosen a word for your year?  Do you have one for this year?

No comments: