Monday, August 12, 2013

Book Review: Harriet Beamer Strikes Gold by Joyce Magnin


In this delightful story, Harriet Beamer has just moved across the country to live with her son and daughter-in-law.  She is a sweet lady who seems never to have met a stranger, and these traits make her an easy mark for a man and his daughter who sell her a lease to a gold mine.  Meanwhile, Harriet's son has his own troubles, as he deals with his career as a writer and his wife's pregnancy.

I like that this book deals with common, everyday occurrences and deals with them well.  It is charmingly written, and it makes me want to go back and read the previous book.  And I did not have any trouble understanding this book, not having read the first one.  My only criticism (and maybe it's a big one) is that the characters' faith seems such a small thing.  Rarely do they pray or ask for guidance from God, but it is obvious (but not implicit) that they want to live in a manner pleasing to Him.

I would like to thank BookSneeze for my copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: