Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What Will We Eat?


My mother is coming for a visit soon, and I've been thinking about what kind of food to serve while she's here.  No, I'm not worrying about it, but I want to prepare meals that she doesn't usually have at home, maybe new-to-her dishes.  Just something different for a change.  Then I realized that she's not coming to sample my cooking.  While she probably doesn't want to have cold cereal for every meal, she really doesn't care what I fix, whether I pull a frozen casserole out of the freezer of spend hours slaving over a hot stove.

(Actually, she would probably rather I not spend hours in front of a hot stove because she's coming to see me.)

After coming to that conclusion, I realized that most people are the same way.  If you invite me over, I really don't care what we eat (as long as it's edible!).  I'm just glad to be able to spend time with you.  And I don't care how clean your house is; I'm happy just to be there.  Don't you feel the same way?

I wonder how often we don't invite people over because our house isn't clean enough or we don't cook well enough.  Aren't we cheating ourselves and others of good fellowship?

No comments: