Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday's Quote: How Do You View Problems?


John has been listening to and reading R.J. Rushdoony over a year now, and I finally picked up one of his books:  A Word in Season Volume I.  Almost every morning, I find myself praying, "Lord, please give us a quiet day," meaning, a day with few or little problems.  But I was challenged in this prayer when I read this quote in Rushdoony's book:
Problems are thus not only aspects of a fallen world, as well as aspects of a growing world, but they are also opportunities sent from God, to test us, to enable us to grow, and to further us in the fulfillment of our calling....If we regard them [problems] as opportunities, we are the stronger for it.
To think about it logically, if I don't have any problems, I won't have any opportunities to grow.  In other words, if things are nice and easy, I'll stay exactly who I am.  Do I really want that?  Do I want to stagnate?

I'm not sure that I'm ready to pray, "Lord, send me big problems today so that I can grow mightily in You," but it is something to think about.

How do you view problems?  Obstacles or opportunities?

No comments: