Monday, May 6, 2013

Writing Letters as a Form of Ministry


I have written posts about using letters to encourage others and express gratitude.  Today I want to tell you about using letters as a form of ministry.

I'm busy, and I know that you are, too.  There are many things that we need to accomplish each and every day, usually mundane things, but they are important, nevertheless.  Somehow, though, we need to find a way to help others in the midst of our busy-ness.

I would like to volunteer at our local pregnancy center; I even took classes years ago so that I could do that.  But I don't have the time.  I have four young children who need me, and in order to volunteer, I would have to pay someone to keep them for me.  That's just not a good option.

So what should I do?  Wait until my children are older and more independent before trying to help others?

No.

I get frequent emails from the Homeschool Legal Defense Association and the Voice of the Martyrs.  Routinely, they ask for letters to be written or emails to be sent on the behalf of people they are trying to help.  These letters are something that I can do.

I can whip off a quick email to my senators about an upcoming vote.  I can send an encouraging letter to a persecuted Christian in another country.  These things I can do without leaving my home, and these things are important.

Maybe you already write letters like these, but if you don't, I would like to encourage you to think about it.  You could make a bigger difference than you realize.

VOM has a neat way to write letters to people who don't speak English.  They have phrases already picked out, and you choose a few.  Then the site translates them into the person's language, so all you have to do is mail it!

By the way, if you homeschool and are not a member of HSLDA, I wish you would rethink your decision.

No comments: