Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Chicken Coop Post -- I Couldn't Think of a Better Title


My chicken coop came on Friday, and I was so excited when John put it together Saturday!  And the chickens were as excited as, well, chickens get to finally get out of their box.


The "before" picture.


Working hard.


Helping Daddy.


All of our little helpers.


The "after" picture.


The chickens enjoying their new home.


The coop took longer to get here than we thought it would, and the chickens were outgrowing their box.  I decided to get an exercise yard so they could get out of the hot barn and out of doors where they belong.  


They seemed to really enjoy being outside and having access to grass, especially clover.   They love clover.  Now I use the exercise yard to increase their area, to get them out of their coop.

One of my Barred Rocks (the black and white ones) seems to be a rooster.  His comb is bigger than the other one's, and he seems to be more aggressive.  He hasn't crowed yet, so I could be wrong.  I'm not sure what to do with him.  Daniel decided to name him Bob Tomato.  Why?  I don't know.  Sarah Beth named the other Barred Rock Alice, and I named the two Buff Orpingtons (the tan ones) Clover and Buttercup.  Since I can't tell them apart, it doesn't matter which one is which, and they'll probably both end up Clover.  The two little ones, the Araucanas,  don't have names...yet.  Any suggestions?


No comments: