Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday's Quote: Who Does Your Time Really Belong To?


Last week, I gave you a quote from The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis about how easily domestic hatred can be caused by family members just by the tone of voice or timing of a simple question.

In this one, Screwtape advises his nephew to encourage his "patient" to think of time as belonging to him -- that when someone wastes his time, he should be affronted.  "It is the unexpected visitor (when he looked forward to a quiet evening), or the friend's talkative wife (turning up when he looked forward to a tete-a-tete with the friend), that throws him out of gear."
And all the time the joke is that the word "mine" in its fully possessive sense cannot be uttered by a human being about anything.  In the long run either Our Father or the Enemy will say "mine" of each thing that exists, and specially of each man.  They will find out in the end, never fear, to whom their time, their souls, and their bodies really belong -- certainly not to them, whatever happens.  
I know that I am guilty of feeling like things, especially time, belong to me.  I get upset when someone, usually one of my children, wastes my time with frivolous requests.  I need to remember to treat this time as a gift from God, one that He wants me to use for His Kingdom not my desires.  When my children ask me to read them a book, listen to a story, or play a game, it is as if the request comes from Him since that is the job He has give me right now.  Oh, how I need this reminder daily!

More than that, everything that I have comes from my gracious, heavenly Father.  I need to treasure His gifts and use them for His glory.

What do you think?

No comments: