Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Book Review: A Fortress of Mist by Sigmund Brouwer


Fortress of Mist by Sigmund Brouwer continues the story of Thomas that was started in The Orphan King.  Now the ruler of Magnus, an impregnable fortress, Thomas still has more questions than answers about who he is and what the "secret of Magnus" is.  Confusing matters even more, a friend turns out to be a foe, and another friend has disappeared.  And Thomas is caught between two sides, two sides which refuse even to identify who they are.  Will Thomas ever get answers to his growing number of questions?

This story takes place during the Middle Ages and it pits the druids against the Christians.  It seems that Thomas has to choose a side, but all of the information he needs to make a decision is kept from him.

The reader wonders the same thing, "Will I ever get answers to all of my questions?"  Thomas isn't the only one kept in the dark, and I had hoped that this novel would have answered more questions than it did.  I find it frustrating to be ignorant of so much while reading a book.  I don't know if I will continue this series because of the lack of information, but I also can't help but wonder who Hawkwood and Katherine are, and more so, who the Immortals are.

I want to thank WaterBrook Multnomah for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: