Monday, January 14, 2013

"I Don't Want To."


We're moving again.  A wonderful job opportunity for John opened up in the Houston area, so we're leaving Florida and moving to Texas.  When John asked me how I felt about moving, I replied, "I don't want to."

We have lived here in north Florida for about a year and a half.  We found a church,  made friends, joined a homeschool co-op, and generally made a home here.  I hate to leave all of that behind, and actually, we all hate to leave it behind.  But we must follow as God leads.  And I figure there are three ways that I could respond to this move:
  1. Refuse.  I could say no and refuse to have any part of this move.  This choice is not a good one; actually, it's an awful one.
  2. I could be passive-aggressive about the move.  This reaction is my natural tendency, although I think and hope I'm maturing out of it.  I could say that I'm fine with the move while doing everything I can to make the process difficult, basically dragging my heels.  This choice is also a poor one.
  3. I could embrace the move as an adventure.  This choice is a good one, and it is the one I have chosen, although it is most definitely not my natural inclination.  As you have probably figured out, I like my routine, and I don't like change.  However, looking for a church, finding new friends, and making a home will be a good stretch outside my comfort zone, and I look forward to the challenge.  
There are some great aspects to living in Texas.  Getting my pharmacist license shouldn't be nearly as hard as getting my Florida one (which turns out now to be a waste of money).  Homeschooling should be easier, too, since home schools are regulated as private schools.  And, of course, Texas is just a great state to live in...at least, that's what I've heard.

Have you moved recently?  What are your thoughts about Texas?

No comments: