Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Book Review: Where We Belong by Lynn Austin


Sisters Rebecca and Flora are traveling through the Egyptian desert, on their way to a remote monastery to find ancient Biblical manuscripts they hope are there.  On the way, they have problems with the sheik who is taking them there.  The journey also reminds them of previous trips they have taken where they were younger, and how they learned more about themselves and the Lord on them.  Their reminiscences are woven into their present adventure to create a poignant read.

I have loved every book by Lynn Austin that I have read, and this book was no exception.  The description of the middle to late 1800s Chicago was wonderful, including the flight from the Great Chicago Fire the sisters took.  I also really appreciated how the author wove in the historical finds from that time period along with some apologetics as the sisters converse with themselves and others.  Historical fiction at its best, I cannot recommend this book more highly.

I want to thank Bethany House Publishing for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: