Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Our Harvey Adventure

On the left is our pond; on the right is our driveway.  

I haven't been around much the past couple of weeks because we weren't home.  Two weeks ago, we noticed that Hurricane Harvey was headed our way.  John was worried and wanted me to evacuate with our children.  It couldn't be that bad, I figured, so I put him off.   On Thursday of that week, John called me twice to urge me to leave.  I wanted to wait until things got bad; then we could leave.

But the Holy Spirit nudged me, and I felt like He was telling me to submit to my husband.  My mother also called, urging me to evacuate.  So I told my children to pack three changes of clothing because we were leaving.  Thankfully, Hannah was napping, so she wasn't discombobulated by our frantic activity.  After everything else was ready, I woke her up, put her in the van, and we left.  There was about an hour between the time I decided to leave and when we actually left.  It was quick!

We drove up to Huntsville, Tx., that first afternoon because I didn't know what else to do.  I still didn't think it was going to be that bad.  But as we saw the first pictures on tv that evening, I realized that I was wrong.  It was going to be worse, much worse, than I had thought.  So we started our drive to Georgia to spend some time with my parents.

We arrived at my parents' house late Saturday afternoon, and we stayed with them until Friday morning two weeks later.  Meanwhile, John had stayed home because he had to work; keeping plants safe is important!

We were worried that our house would flood.  It didn't, but many houses in our neighborhood did.  As a matter of fact, the water came within two feet of our house.  It was close!  I tried to keep in contact with friends in our area who were worried about flooding, too.

The first week at my parents' house felt like vacation, but as it drew to an end, I realized that we were all getting antsy.  Since I didn't know how much longer we were going to be there, I borrowed math books from a friend who uses the same curriculum we do.  Her children weren't using the actual books I needed, so it wasn't an inconvenience to her.  We may have only done math while we were gone, but we got something done.  :)

Finally, the water receded enough in our neighborhood for John to move back home from the hotel where he had been staying.  And we started on our two day trip back.

Most of the water had gone down by the time we returned, so we didn't see the flooding.  It's surreal knowing that it happened, that some of our friends were affected, but my children and I didn't see it at all.

It's easy to say that God is gracious for sparing our home, but isn't He gracious always?  Wouldn't He still be gracious if He had flooded our home?  Why did He spare us when He didn't spare so many?  I don't have the answer to that last question, but I do know that God is good.  Always.  Even when things we think are bad happen.  But in my small, human thinking, I must admit that I'm glad He did spare our home.

No comments: