Friday, August 4, 2017

What I've Enjoyed This Week: Help in the Kitchen


I have felt discombobulated all week.  I seemed never to know if were coming or going; I knew there was lots I needed to do on the computer, but when I sat down, I forgot what it all was.  Meanwhile, my daily chores were neglected, too.  And this blog post is late.  :)

What's kept me so busy?  In short, getting ready for school.  We start back next week, and I needed to spend some time this week preparing.  But the main thing that has me flustered is CC.  Oh, it's not CC itself, but my preparations for our campus to start back up in less than two weeks.  There are supplies I need to purchase, money to collect, information to put into the computer, emails to send, facilities to check, etc.  And it's kept me busy.  But once we start back, it will be worth it!

I started something new this week, too, which in retrospect may not have been the best time.  I read somewhere recently about a mother who has one of her children help her in the kitchen for two months at a time, and then she switches children.  I thought that sounded like a great idea, so I implemented it.  Sarah Beth was first, and she wasn't thrilled, but she was a big help as we prepared Taco Ring.  I'm just going to have each child help for a week, and to sweeten the deal, they get to help with the menu planning.

Here are a few things I've enjoyed this week:
  • The Great British Baking Show.  My mother introduced me to this show, and I like that I can watch it with my children.  They certainly do a much more intricate kind of baking in Britain than we do here in the States, and I think I'd like to take a class on British baking at some point -- if I can find one.  :)
  • a relatively quiet week at home.  Well, we could have spent a good bit of time at home if I hadn't had so many errands to run!  :)
  • a couple of rainy afternoons.
  • summer reading.  Mary won a prize this year:  box tickets to an Astros game!  Their coordinator graciously is going to give us one more ticket (we were supposed to get four) so that John can take our four oldest children.  I thought about asking for one more -- for me! -- but I didn't want to push it.
  • my children's help with chores.  Sarah Beth vacuuming and Daniel mopping are a big help, along with everybody folding laundry.
  • an afternoon out to run errands.  It's so much easier for those quick in-an-out errands when I'm by myself.
I didn't enjoy this course much, but I wanted to include it since Tracey asked me to post what courses I've taken from the Ultimate Homemaking Bundle:  The SAHM Wardrobe Basics Builder.  I didn't find this wardrobe course helpful at all for several reasons.  First, I'm not interested in a capsule wardrobe.  Second, there's too much denim in it; where's the color?  Third, I don't have most of the clothes she recommends, and I don't want to go buy a whole new wardrobe.  Fourth, it's too hot here to wear jeans, cardigans, jackets, etc., and I don't think I could adapt the wardrobe to our heat here.  With all of that said, other people might find this course helpful; I just didn't.  It's not a bad course; it's just not helpful to me.

Tomorrow we have plans to visit some friends for swimming and supper.  Our children are really looking forward to it!  John and I are, too, but more for the fellowship.  :)

What have you enjoyed this week?  What do you have planned for the weekend?

No comments: