Friday, July 28, 2017

What I Enjoyed this Week: Learning that I'm not As Necessary As I Think I Am

First day of practicum wore these girls out!

Two weeks ago, my children and I attended our first Classical Conversations practicum of the summer, and I went through my first required training:  training to tutor the afternoon Essentials class.  This week we attended the second required practicum; at least, we were supposed to.  Until my children got sick.

For my first practicum, I didn't really know anyone, and that was okay.  CC is a community of like-minded parents, mostly mothers, and I enjoyed spending time with them, even if I didn't catch their names.  :)

But I was really looking forward to this week because a couple of my tutors were coming, and I wanted to introduce them to each other and be involved as they got to know each other.  God had other plans.

When my children first started showing symptoms, I went into denial.  They're not really sick, I thought.  They'll get better when we get home.  But they didn't.  Then I thought, These ladies need me there to help them get along.  They can't do it without me.  But of course, they could, and they did.

It was an eye-opening experience, one that I honestly should have figured out a long time ago.  I'm not needed nearly as much as I think I am.  The world will continue to turn if I'm stuck at home taking care of my children.  It was a humbling experience, but it was a good one.

The best thing was that I got to see part of God's plan in this.  We don't always usually get to see how He's working, so it's nice when we do.  I had felt pressed for time this week, and the Lord graciously gave me an extra two days to get some things done I hadn't felt I had time for.

Then Thursday, I got sick.  Ugh!  My children are old enough to take care of themselves for the most part, and Sarah Beth was a tremendous help with Hannah.  It wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been!

Here are a few more things I enjoyed this week:

  • Spending time with  my friends at practicum on Monday.
  • Staying home and getting things done on Tuesday and Wednesday so that...
  • I wasn't distressed and anxious about how much I needed to get done on Thursday when I could hardly get off the couch.
  • Meeting two other women who want to do CC with their children.
We don't have much planned this weekend which actually seems really nice!  

What did you enjoy this week?  What do you have planned for the weekend?



No comments: