Monday, July 24, 2017

How to Cut Up a Watermelon Without Making (Too Much of) a Mess


John and I really enjoy watermelon, but I have to admit that I dreaded buying one for years because of how much of a mess I made when I cut it up.  One day, I learned a neat trick that helped keep the mess to a minimum, and I've expounded on that idea since then.

First of all, I put a cutting board inside a rimmed cookie sheet, as you can see in the picture above.  That way the juice is corralled inside the cookie sheet -- and I don't leave marks on the pan with my knife.  A good knife is always helpful, too!


Then I like to slice off the bottom off the watermelon so that it doesn't wobble as I cut it up.  Then I continue cutting the watermelon into bite-sized pieces.


My next problem was how to get all of the pieces into my bowl.  I didn't want to have to pick up each and every piece.  A spatula!  I can pick up many pieces of the watermelon without using my hands and getting them messy.

How do you cut up a watermelon?  Do you avoid certain foods because of the mess they make while you prepare them -- like I do?  :)

No comments: