Thursday, July 6, 2017

Book Review: High as the Heavens by Kate Breslin


Eve and Simon married just before World War I started; then he was apparently killed in the fighting soon after.  Three years later, Eve discovers that Simon is still alive when she finds him at a plane crash where she is living in German-occupied Belgium.  He has actually been a POW in German prisons, and now he wants to rescue Eve and take her to England with him where they can start their married life over again.  Meanwhile, Eve has been working with La Dame Blanche, a spy network, and she has secrets she feels like she needs to keep from Simon.  Both have changed a great deal due to what they have endured during the war, and they wonder if they can make their marriage work.

I loved this book!  The characters were well-developed, and the struggles they faced within themselves and their circumstances were believable.  I especially enjoyed watching as Eve dealt with her inner demons and the barriers she had erected to protect herself, in order to love Simon again and to trust the Lord with her future.  I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction because it is so well written.  I will definitely look for other books by this author!

I want to thank Bethany House Publishing for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: