Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Do You Plan Your Free Time? Why You Probably Should

Awards for things I did during my free time.  :)

First of all, do you even know what I mean by "free time?"  It's those times when you don't have children underfoot and you can get some things done without interruption.  Specifically, I can think of four times when I have free time for me:  nap time/ play time, when I send my children outside to play, after their bedtime, and when my wonderful husband takes them out for a while.  The bonus is when they dis appear upstairs, and the baby is occupied happily (and out of trouble).

There have been so many times when I think, "When I get a few minutes, I want to read this or do that."  Then the few minutes arrive, and I figure I'll get to it after I finish a few things like changing the laundry over, doing the dishes, etc.  The next thing I know, the kids are back underfoot, and I've lost the time I wanted.

I realized that I needed to start planning my free time, making sure that I do the important things in that time, things that I can't get done any other time.

Before I go any further, I want to encourage you to take some time for yourself every day when you can.  I have found that when I do and do and do all day long, I wear myself out and get irritated with everyone and everything.  However, when I stop for a few minutes, as few as ten or fifteen, and do something that I enjoy, I get refreshed, and I'm ready to tackle the rest of my day with a pleasant attitude.  Please don't think that taking a little time for yourself is selfish.  If it keeps you from yelling at your children and resenting your husband, they will be glad for you to take some time.  :)

On the other hand, I am talking about a few minutes.  I don't know how much you have to do or how much time it takes, but if you're taking so much time for yourself that nothing else gets done, well, you're taking too much.  :)

With all of that said, these days when I have a few minutes to myself, I think, "What's the best thing I can do right now?"  And the best thing for the moment is usually something that I can't do -- or have a hard time doing -- with children underfoot.  For example, I'm reading Alive in Him by Gloria Furman, and it's so good and deep that I absolutely cannot keep my mind on it and comprehend it with any kind of interruptions.  So when I send my children outside, the first thing I do is sit down and read.  These quiet times are excellent for reading books that help me be a better wife, mother, or Christian.

Do you plan your free time?  If you don't, let me encourage you to start!

No comments: