Monday, June 19, 2017

Book Review: The Most Misused Stories in the Bible by Eric J. Bargerhuff


In The Most Misused Stories in the Bible by Eric Bargerhuff, the author goes through several popular Bible stories and shows how their meanings have been distorted to promote man's message instead of God's.  For example, the story of Jonah and the big fish is not about Jonah; it is actually the story of God and His redeeming love.  David and Goliath is not about overcoming fear but how we can do great things when we rely on God's strength.  Several other stories he deals with are Zacchaeus, Judas Iscariot, Gideon and his fleece, and the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

Reading this book was enlightening.  I appreciated how the author went through each story showing how it has been misinterpreted and then showing the proper way to view it.  I enjoyed his clear, concise way of looking at things and how he communicates it.  I recommend this book, even if you feel you have an accurate understanding of these stories in the Bible because you may still learn something.

I want to thank Bethany House for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: