Thursday, June 8, 2017

Book Review: Love Letters from God -- Bible Stories for a Girl's Heart by Glenys Nellist, Illustrated by Rachel Clowes

This book retells several stories about women from the Bible, using each as an illustration of a specific character trait.  For example, Rahab is the "brave girl," Deborah is the "strong girl," and Hannah is the "hopeful girl."  After each story, there is a brief letter supposedly from God to the girl reading the book (or having it read to them) extolling her to exhibit this trait as the girl in the story did.

The idea for this book is excellent, and I had high hopes for it.  But I was disappointed.  First of all, the "love letters" are strange, as if they were written by God, but they come across as forced and fake -- and patronizing.  Some of the traits don't seem to fit well with the stories chosen to illustrate them, like Miriam being the "trusting girl."  I think it was more her parents who trusted God to take care of Moses when they put him into the Nile River.  In the picture of Deborah, she is holding a sword as if she fought in the battle, too, but the Bible is clear that she did not.  In the story of the woman caught in adultery, it talks about the "law of love" as if Jesus brought love so we don't need to worry about sin anymore.  Almost every story had something I needed to correct for my children.  One of my biggest problems with this book was classifying every person as a "girl."  Most of these were women, and it diminishes them and what they accomplished by calling them girls.

Like I said, I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't.

I want to thank Handlebar Publishing for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: