Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Book Review: Kids' Visual NIV Study Bible


This Bible contains all kinds of notes and explanations to help children understand the Bible better:  the culture, the language, the traditions, etc.  There are many pictures and diagrams also to help explain things.  As a matter of fact, I'm sure this Bible could help a lot of adults, too.  :)

I have to admit that I did not read the entire thing, every single note.  But I looked through it, and one of my children read a good bit.  We liked most of what we saw.  My biggest problem was the note in Genesis 1 that the word day could "have been 24 hours, just like we understand a day to be -- or the word day could have represented a very long period of time."   It's not helpful at all as it implies that evolution might be true.  Despite this flaw, I think this Bible could be a great help to a child who is starting to study the Bible on his own for the first time.  However, it could also be a distraction if he takes it with him to church; it might be more fun to look at the pictures than listen to the sermon.  With those two caveats, I do appreciate and recommend this Bible.

I want to thank Handlebar Publishing for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: