Wednesday, May 3, 2017

April Reading and Goals Review

Mary was thrilled with her soccer trophy!

April was full of Memory Masters.  It seemed to be all I could think about, and I'm sure you noticed that here on my blog.  :)  I'm so glad that Sarah Beth and Daniel decided to take on that project, but I'm also very glad that it's over.

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I did not get much read in April.  Of the four books I have listed here, I didn't even finish one of them.  :)  Here's  what I read:
  • To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey.  While this book is fiction, it reads like non-fiction.  As Colonel Allen Forrester explores the interior of Alaska for the army during the 1880s, he has to leave his new wife behind in Vancouver.  His journal entries are interspersed with hers, showing what each went through during their separation.   He survived dangers and hardships while exploring, and she had to navigate the social scene of the fort while learning a new hobby:  photography.  I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would.
  • Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus by John Gray.  This book was recommended when I attended the Winter Summit, and I thought I might learn a few things.  But I had to stop reading it halfway through because I felt like the author was trying to say that we women have to accept our men just as they are.  We can never ask them to change, certainly not expect them to.  Basically, we have to walk on eggshells all the time.  I'm sure there is some truth in that, but it made me mad every time I read it.  The author is not a Christian so there was no hope that God might change one's husband, that as Christians we should expect our husbands to become more Christ-like -- as we wives also work to become more Christ-like.  This message would have been much better with that influence and truth.
  • The Harbingers Cycle One:  Invitation.  You can read read my review here.
  • The Chilbury Ladies Choir by Jennifer Ryan.  You can read my review here.
Here's how I did with my yearly goals:
  • I want to run two 5Ks.  I ran the first one in March, so one down, one to go!  I jog on the treadmill four times a week almost every week, so I'll be ready for the next one.
  • Fun School Days.  I planned to celebrate Jelly Bean Day (the 22nd), but it just didn't happen.
  • Hospitality:  having other mothers and children over for games and such.  We were so busy with Memory Masters that I couldn't even think about it. 
  • Hospitality:  we also used to have families over for supper one night each month, and we need to get back into doing this again, too.  We were too busy this month -- and probably will be again next month.
  • Date night.  It didn't happen.
  • Get comfortable enough with my handgun to go shoot by myself.  Getting there.
    My goals are:
    • Review and test for Memory Masters.  Done and done!  Sarah Beth and Daniel did great and achieved Memory Masters for CC!
    • Increase my speed on the treadmill to work toward running my next 5K a little more quickly.  I did speed up a little bit.  It's hard!
    • Get as much school as possible done, so our summer break can get here faster!  :)  Yes!
    May looks to be very busy, so I'm not going to make any goals other than working hard to finish up our school year -- when we can.  We actually have about twelve more days, but I'm not exactly sure when that last day will happen.

    What have you read lately?  How are you doing with your goals?

    No comments: