Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Why You are the Perfect Mother for Your Children, Part 2


Last week, I wrote a post about how you are the perfect mother for your children.  How can I be so sure about this?  God gave my children to me and  your children to you, and He does not make mistakes.

Of course, this fact is all well and good as long as you and your child are similar, when you both love to read or when neither of you enjoys going to parties.  But what happens when you are different?

What if your child craves being around people and you crave time alone?  What if your child doesn't want to nurse as long you had planned?  What if you would just prefer to do all the chores yourself because it's easier than taking the time and effort to teach your children?  What if you are just different?  Did God make a mistake then?  Of course not!  God doesn't make mistakes.  Should we continue in our own personalities and temperaments and let things end up however they will?  No!

God can use our differences to help us grow.  And these examples come straight from my relationships with my children, so I can speak to them directly.  I hope that you can extrapolate from my experiences to you and your children.

I have a child who loves to be around people.  Her love language is quality time, and she needs attention from me.  However, I crave time alone.  As a matter of fact, that's what I asked for for Christmas.  :)  What are we to do?  Well, I look for ways to spend time with her that I enjoy as well, so we end up reading lots of books.  I also make a point to listen to her and speak with her when she's trying to carry on a conversation with me.  I've had to change and to give up some of what I want in order to nurture her.  I'm learning to make sacrifices, and that's a good thing.  Didn't God the Father give the ultimate sacrifice when He sent Jesus to die on the cross?  Isn't it a good thing for me to emulate the Son?  So I work on it.  :)

As for the baby weaning herself before I was ready, well, I had to learn to be flexible.  I had things all planned out for how long I would nurse her, when I would wean her, and how long I would take.  But my child decided one morning that she was done with me; she just wanted a bottle.  I had to learn to roll with the punches, so to speak, and that's also an excellent thing to know.

I have to be honest.  Most of the time, I prefer to do the household chores myself.  It's a little bit of selfishness, a little bit of efficiency, and a little bit of laziness.  I can do things better and quicker than my children can, so it's just easier for me to do it all.  But if I don't teach them how to do things themselves, they will have a harder time when they move out and have their own places.  I need to teach them now how to do things, how to work hard, so they will be better prepared for life when they leave my house.

Am I a perfect mother?  Of course not!  But I am a work in progress, and I pray that God will continue to use me to teach my children more about Him -- as He uses them to teach me more about Him.

How are you different from your child(ren)?  How have you handled it?

No comments: