Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Why You are the Perfect Mother for Your Children


I've been thinking about this post for a couple of months now, and I was finally inspired to write it after I read (un)Natural Mom by Hettie Brittz.  We mothers tend to compare ourselves to other mothers, wondering why we can't do the wonderful things they do.  Why can't we throw such memory-making birthday parties?  Why don't we enjoy co-sleeping?

I will tell you why:  God made us all differently, and He gave our children to us on purpose.  He uses our gifts and our weaknesses to develop our children.  He can also use our natural tendencies to protect our children.  Brittz has a great story in her book about why it was a wonderful thing that her children sleep independently in their own rooms.  But she also has a great reason why other mothers would be better having their children sleep with them.  God knows these things when He gives us our children and the circumstances in which we raise them.

Do you enjoy doing crafts with your children?  I don't.  But I do love to read to my children.  While your children develop their artistic sides, my children develop a love of books.  Both are wonderful!  Neither are bad.

Do you struggle with getting places on time?  Maybe you're more flexible or more hopeful than I am; I'm pretty regimented.  God can use both aspects in our children's lives, as yours learn flexibility and mine learn discipline.  Again, both are great things to know, and neither are bad.  (My husband would probably say that I need to learn some flexibility.  :)

Please, keep these things in mind as you look at other mothers and what they do with their children.  As long as you are doing your best, God will use that to turn your children into the people He wants them to be.

But -- what if your natural temperament works against your child?  What if you crave time alone, and God gave you a child whose love language is quality time?  What if your personality tells you just to do it all yourself because it's too much trouble to teach your children how to do it?

That is a post for next week.  :)


No comments: