Friday, April 14, 2017

What I Enjoyed This Week: Memory Masters, a Medal, My Birthday, and First Steps



First of all, I don't want to forget to mention that it's Good Friday, the day that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ died for our sins.  What a wonderful gift that He gave us that day, and I don't ever want to forget it.  The only thing that is better than Him dying on the cross was that He rose from the grave three days later.  Hallelujah!

Sarah Beth, Daniel and I have been busy the last few weeks with getting ready for and testing for their Memory Masters.  We started last weekend with my testing both of them, and they did wonderfully.  Sarah Beth forgot the name of the Netherlands, and Daniel got Cambodia and Thailand mixed up.  Those kinds of things are what they're being tested on.   Daniel had his second testing with another adult yesterday, and he did great.  He just forgot one out of a list of twenty-seven indefinite pronouns (all, another, any, some, several, etc.).  Sarah Beth has her second testing this afternoon.  Then they have another testing with a CC tutor on Monday, and an abbreviated testing with our director on Wednesday.

Remember that 5K I ran a couple of weeks ago?  I received an interesting email last Saturday:  it turns out that I won my age division.  Can you believe it?  I certainly couldn't!  Honestly, I'm such a slow jogger that I must have been the only one in my age group who ran; there were lots of people who walked the whole thing.

Lastly, today is my birthday!  My children kept asking me what I wanted, and I just couldn't think of anything.  But I kept pondering and pondering, and it finally came to me:  I want someone else to do my job for me on my birthday.  I want someone else to get up early with the children.  I want someone else to make sure the dishes are put in the dishwasher and the table wiped off.  I want someone else to change any diapers that need to be changed and make sure the baby is fed.  I want a day off from my responsibilities.  :)  There's the incentive I need to keep training my children, so that one day I will get my birthday wish -- and hopefully, in the not-too-distant future.  :)

Hannah gave me a lovely birthday gift a day early:  she took her first steps!

Here are a few other things I enjoyed this week:
  • Our last day of CC.  It's bittersweet, really, because we'll miss our friends, but it will be nice to stay home instead of heading off to class once a week.
  • Swim clinic.  Daniel wanted to attend the swim clinic which the swim team puts on before try-outs, so I took him.  And then Sarah Beth decided she wanted to do it, too.  They're having a great time and learning better how to swim.
  • Rain.  We had a couple of rainy days which was wonderful since it's been so dry lately.
  • No soccer practice.  Since it's Easter weekend and the kids don't have soccer games, their coaches cancelled practice all week.  Hooray!  (But don't tell my children I said that.  :)
  • A mixed-up date.  We thought something important was next Saturday, but it's actually the Saturday after that.  So we thought we were going to miss a couple of things, but now we're not!
This afternoon, Sarah Beth has her second Memory Master testing, and we're going out to eat to celebrate my birthday!  Tomorrow, I'm taking Rachel and Mary to an Easter egg hunt which should be easy-peasy since I will only have two children!  Then a relatively quiet weekend, celebrating Resurrection Day.

What did you enjoy this week?  What do you have planned for the weekend?

No comments: