Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Book Review: Harbingers Cycle One: Invitation


Four people with special powers, not really super powers, are brought together by fate to help defend others against supernatural evil.  The Professor relies entirely on logic to make decisions and deductions.  Andi, his assistant, can see patterns that others miss.  Brenda, a tattoo artist, occasionally sees pictures of events before they happen.  And Tank, a college football player, has the ability sometimes to heal others; he is also the only Christian on this "team."  Using their combined gifts, they are able to keep evil forces from hurting some defenseless people.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book since I've never read anything by these authors, and actually I've only heard of Frank Peretti.  In the introduction, they tell the rules of this book:  each author would write one short story in this book (as opposed to all of them writing together), and he would write it from the point of view of one of the characters.  It's supposed to work like a tv series, and it does.  Each novella is a different episode that builds on the ones before it.

I enjoyed each of the stories, even though they were a little crazy and strange.  Obviously, occult supernatural forces are at work in the stories -- as they are in real life.  But only Tank can see the obvious, that what they experience is the battle between good and evil, between God and Satan.  I was disappointed that none of the other characters became Christians in the book, but maybe they will in a future one.  Given the opportunity, I would probably read more in this series and will probably check out some other books by these authors.

I want to thank Bethany House Publishers for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: