Friday, February 24, 2017

What I Enjoyed This Week: A Finished Blanket, Rain, and John Being Home for Presidents' Day


Last weekend, we got a taste of what it's like to have children in the neighborhood.  It's been almost six years since we lived in a neighborhood with other children, and, well, you don't miss what you don't know.  A couple who lives a few doors down from us and to whom the children have sold eggs, had two of their nephews visiting, and one of them was close to Daniel's age.  Andrew came over several times over the weekend, and my children couldn't get enough of him.  Hearing his knock on our door was really nice, and we all enjoyed having him over.  As added benefits, he is also homeschooled, and they even do Classical Conversations.  Hopefully, the next time he's in town, he'll come over again.

Here are a few other things I enjoyed:
  • Finishing this blanket!  
  • Presidents' Day because John was home!  We did a little bit of school (math), and then just enjoyed having a quiet day at home.  It rained all day so we were kind of stuck at home anyway.  I was able to get a few things done to help start my week a little more nicely.
  • No CC this week.  We had a break this week, and I've said this before, but while we love CC, we also enjoy a week off.  It gave me an extra day to get my weekly chores done which was refreshing.  I didn't have so much to do the other days of the week.
  • Rain.  As I said earlier, it rained all day Monday, and we haven't had a day like that in quite a while.  I enjoyed the sound of the rain all day -- with no reason to venture out into it!
  • Sarah Beth and Daniel are working toward CC Memory Masters which is where they recite all of the information they have learned all year in one sitting -- four times.  It's a really big deal, and I'm confident that they can do it.  We started reviewing seriously this week, and I'm pleased with how much they can recall.  It's still going to take some hard work, but it'll be worth it!
  • National Tootsie Roll Day was yesterday, so we read some of the history of that candy along with eating some.  :)  Fun school day at its best!
  • Yesterday was also the anniversary of the first day of the siege of the Alamo, so we read some history of that event, too.  Not nearly as much fun, but much more important.  
Daniel and Mary have soccer games tomorrow, and Mary has been counting down the days!  I can't wait to see her play.  Then we're heading to some friends' house for supper, and it will be wonderful to spend time with them.  

What did you enjoy this week?  What do you have planned for the weekend?

No comments: