Wednesday, February 1, 2017

January Reading and Goals


I didn't do well with my goals this month, but we were a little busy.  Besides, goals are things to aim for, and I refuse to beat myself up if/when I don't achieve them.  :)  Here are my goals for this year:
  • I want to run two 5Ks.  My training is right on schedule for the first one in March.
  • Fun School Days.  I didn't plan ahead enough to make this happen this month.  
  • Hospitality:  having other mothers and children over for games and such.  Again, I just didn't get this goal planned.
  • Hospitality:  we also used to have families over for supper one night each month, and we need to get back into doing this again, too.  We were too busy this month with meeting friends for supper and the pregnancy center banquet.  Next month!
  • Date night.  Twice, if you count meeting friends and the banquet!
  • Get comfortable enough with my handgun to go shoot by myself.  I did not go shooting this month.
Here were my goals for January:
  • Increase my running from fifteen minutes to twenty.  Actually, I needed to increase my running to 25 minutes this month so I could be in shape for the 5K in March.  In order to do that, I had to decrease my running speed on the treadmill.  I had increased it in October after that 5K, but I just couldn't get past the 15 minute mark.  But now that I've decreased to my original speed, I'm amazed at how much easier my jogging is.  :)  Oh, and I achieved the 25 minutes.
  • Go through Crystal's Make Over Your Evenings Course.  I started it but keep forgetting to work on it.  I'll have to continue this goal in February.
My goals for February:
  • Increase my running from 25 minutes to thirty.  
  • Finish Crystal's course.
  • Schedule my days in blocks of time.  I got this suggestion from Crystal's course, and I think it might help me to use my time even more wisely.  I want to try it for a couple of weeks to see how it works for me. 
  • Celebrate the Tootsie Roll Anniversary on February 23rd.  That will be our "fun" school as we learn about tootsie rolls.  :)
  • Review four books.  I was offered four books to review this month that I just couldn't resist because I enjoy the authors so much.  :)  I think it's important to review books in a timely manner in order to hold up my side of the agreement, so I want to get these done as quickly as I can while giving them the time they deserve.  
I did get several books read in January.  While that wasn't a goal, it was enjoyable.  :)
  • The Book of the King by Jerry B. Jenkins and Chris Fabry.  After Sarah Beth read this book, I thought it sounded interesting since it's about a boy who lives in a bookstore and loves books.  In this first book of the series, Owen learns that our world is not the only one and that others from another world are hunting him.  And maybe his father isn't who he says he is.  
  • Courage to Soar by Simone Biles.  You can read my review here.
  • Conspiracy of Silence by Ronie Kendig.  You can read my review here.
  • The Night Spies by Kathy Kacer.  As I helped pick out books for Sarah Beth, I found this one about a Jewish family in Austria who hide in a barn during the latter part of World War II.  I found it to be very interesting and also a good one for my daughter to read.  It gave her an idea of what life was like for Jews during that time without being overwhelming.
  • The Other 1492:  Jewish Settlement in the New World by Norman Finkelstein.  The title of this book caught my attention when I saw it in the juvenile section of the library.  It traces the history of Jews in Spain mostly, but also touches on how they came to be there and how they made their way to North America via Portuguese-held South America.  The most interesting part for me was learning about the Spanish Inquisition which I had always thought was formed to go after Protestants.  According to this book, it actually tried to find which Jews were only pretending to convert to Catholicism in order to avoid persecution.  
  • The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines with Mark Dagostino.  Who doesn't like this couple from Fixer Upper?  When amazon had this book on sale, I snatched it up and read it while jogging.  I enjoyed learning more about this couple, how they met and how they got into the home renovation business.  Their personalities come through very well, and this book is a joy to read.
  • When the Heavens Fall by Marc Turner.  This book reminds me of the writings of J. R. R. Tolkien although not as good.  The world-building and depth of characters was especially stunning when you consider that this was Turner's first book.  The story centers on four people with different backgrounds who all want the same thing but for different reasons.  I don't know how else to describe it to you.  I enjoyed it, but I don't know that I'll read any of the rest of the series especially since the other books don't have the same characters.
This post was rather lengthy, so I appreciate your sticking with me to the end.  :)  How are your goals going for the year?  What have you read lately?

No comments: