Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Book Review: The Mark of the King by Jocelyn Green


After midwife Julianne is wrongly branded as a murderer, she feels her only way out of prison is to marry a man she has never met and sail to France's new colony New Orleans.  Things there are much worse than she had expected, and she experiences many misfortunes.  But she decides to make the best of things, as she and her new husband struggle to make their marriage work.  Along the way, she learns to trust God even through the hard times.

I enjoyed this book.  The writing was quick and lively, and I enjoyed how Green told Julianne's story.  I appreciated how she dealt with the difficult things in this book, not glossing over them, but not dwelling on them, either.  I especially liked learning about the early history of Louisiana since I had not heard any of this information before.  Also, I welcomed how the author chose to have Simon and Julianne struggle with their forced marriage, but determine to make it as good as possible.  All in all, I recommend this book.

I want to thank Bethany House for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: