Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Book Review: King's Blood by Jill Williamson


This book continues the story of Prince Wilek, his brothers, and their people as they make their way via ships to find a new land to settle after their old one was destroyed because of their unfaithfulness to the Creator-God. This one book actually contains three books bound together; the three were published originally via e-book.  In this one, the people have to deal with betrayal and treachery aboard ship, along with  storms and not knowing where to go.  After they find land, they still have old enemies to contend with as well as giants in the new land.  Will their newfound faith prove strong enough?  Will their God?

As the first book in this series, King's Folly, was a kind of retelling of the story of God's judgement -- and destruction -- of Judah, this book seems like a retelling of Judah's return from exile.  Wilek encourages his people to worship the true God instead of the false ones, especially since He has brought them to this new land.  Of course, not everyone does and Wilek has to deal with these problems as well.

I enjoyed this book as much as the first, and I look forward to seeing what happens in the final book in this trilogy.  Williamson's writing is interesting, and her characters have depth.  Some people may complain about there being too many characters to keep track of, but I didn't have a problem.  In fact, I appreciated learning about the different situations from each one's point of view.  There are some characters that I really like and others that I don't care for at all -- which is as it should be.  As long as the ones I like are the ones that are good, I'm fine with it.  :)

I want to thank Bethany House for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: