Wednesday, November 30, 2016

November Reading


Since I was too busy in October to read much and because I had several books to review, I decided to read whatever I wanted this month instead of reading to enrich myself -- although I ended up doing just that.  :)  I read some good books this month, ones that I recommend.  I'm ready to start reading deeper books in December; with soccer over, I think -- I hope! -- I'll have a little more time.

Here's what I read:
  • The Secret File on John Birch by James and Marti Hefley.  This book tells the amazing story of a missionary-turned-spy during World War II in China.  John Birch went to China as a missionary before the war started, and when it started, he wanted to do his part.  Since he was fluent in Mandarin and already had many Chinese contacts, his superiors decided he should become a spy -- and he was excellent at it.  I enjoyed learning about our part of the war in China, but I really appreciated seeing how God used Birch to accomplish His goals.
  • Rhythms of Rest by Shelly Miller.  You can read my full review here.
  • My Father's World by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella.  Corrie's mother decides to move her family out west to live with her brother, despite not knowing exactly where he lives.  When she dies en route, it's up to Corrie to find her uncle and convince him to let her and her four siblings live with him.  And there is a big surprise for all of the children in the person of Uncle Nick's gold mining partner, but I won't ruin it for you.  :)  I enjoyed this book, and it would be a great one for young girls to read except for one page.  Teenagers should be fine with it.  
  • The Shattered Vigil by Patrick W. Carr.  An excellent and exciting book, you can read my review here.  
  • Child of the River by Irma Joubert.   More than a coming of age story set in South Africa during the 1940s and 1950s, you can read my full review here.  
  • The Winter Pony by Iain Lawrence.  I discovered this book while scouting for books for Sarah Beth at the library, so it's a juvenile book.  It tells the story of Robert Falcon Scott's race to the South Pole from the point of view of one of his ponies.  It's well-written, and I enjoyed learning more about the trials encountered by men who undertook this type of expedition.  In case you're wondering, Scott was not the first one to the pole although he did make it.  Unfortunately, he died on the way back.  I'm not going to have Sarah Beth read this yet, but one day I will.
What have you read lately?

No comments: