Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Book Review: Shattered Vigil by Patrick W. Carr


After the events in The Shock of Night (you can read my review here), the Vigil has separated, each one of the remaining four to his -- or her -- own tasks.  Actually, Willet has been abandoned by the Vigil and left to be imprisoned by one of the church orders for his "safe-keeping."  When the disturbing news that the sentinels -- giant dogs who keep people out of the Blackwater Forest -- are being killed and that the streams coming out of the forest are being seeded with gold, Willet and the rest of the Vigil know that it's just a matter of time before the woods are overrun with new people who will be infected by the mysterious horrors there.

Oh, boy!  This book was wonderful!  All I wanted to do after I started it was to read.  I never knew what would happen next which made the story that much better.  I appreciated learning more about the other members of the Vigil, who they are and why they do what they do.  Reading about their interaction with the urchins, abandoned children who have resorted to thieving in order to survive, was especially fun:  the tight-laced, traditional Vigil versus the earthy, seat-of-the-pants urchins.  I can't wait for Carr to write the next and last of this trilogy!

I want to thank Bethany House Publishing for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: