Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Book Review: Child of the River by Irma Joubert



Persomi is the young, white daughter of poor sharecroppers in the pre-World War II time of South Africa.  She has a hard life, but she overcomes her hardships as she studies hard in school and works hard as an adult.  As a child, she compares herself to "real" people, showing how little she values herself.  Her relationships with her older brother Gerbrand and the son of the owner of the farm Boelie sustain her through the growing pangs as she realizes how much bigger the world is than the little farm where she was born.

Since I loved Joubert's first book (which was translated into English) The Girl from the Train, I jumped at the change to review this book.  While I may not have enjoyed this book quite as much, it is still very good, and I highly recommend it.  I welcomed the opportunity to  learn more about South Africa and how apartheid became law.  It was a hard time for the country, and I appreciated how the author portrayed both sides of the issue.  Here's another book I plan to keep and to have my children read when they get a little older.

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: