Wednesday, October 5, 2016

September Reading

 A few years ago.

Spending thirty to forty-five minutes on the treadmill four times a week gives me lots of time to read!  And since I need something lively and interesting, I've been able to read several fiction books this month.  Other than that time, I haven't had much time to read, but I finally figured out why.  :)
  • Carthage Must be Destroyed:  the Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization by Richard Miles.  I'm interested in ancient Roman history, so I thought I would enjoy this book since it was Rome that destroyed Carthage.  And I did appreciate all of the history, but it was very dry.  :)  I'm glad I read it, and I'm glad I'm done!
  • From Darkness Won by Jill Williamson.  The third book in this trilogy, it was just as exciting and well-written as the previous two books.  
  • Curly Girl:  the Handbook by Lorraine Massey.  I read this book about the care of curly hair because Mary has curly hair, but I learned a few things about my own hair as well.
  • Sweet Olive by Julie Christie.  Tracey at Girls to Grow recommended this book, and I enjoyed it while jogging on the treadmill.  Camille travels back to a small town from her childhood, trying to figure out how to make her oil and gas boss happy while not destroying a lovely neighborhood.
  • Kingdom at Sea by Jill Williamson.  After their land is destroyed, the people of Armania travel on ships trying to find a new land to inhabit.  Another exciting book by this author that made my exercising more pleasant.  :)
  • Triggers:  Exchanging Parents' Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses by Amber Lia and Wendy Speake.   I've said it before, and I mean it:  I would buy a copy of this book for every parent that I know, if I could.  Yes, it is that good!
  • The White Horse King:  The Life of Alfred the Great by Benjamin R. Merkle.  After listening to The Dragon and the Raven, I wanted to learn more about the amazing King Alfred.  My father recommended this book to me, and I recommend it to you:  it's an easy, yet informative read about one of the best English kings.
What have you read recently?

No comments: