Monday, October 17, 2016

Book Review: Waves of Mercy by Lynn Austin


After a harrowing trip by ship to a resort on Lake Michigan, Anna's childhood nightmares of surviving a shipwreck return.  She befriends one of the resort workers Derk who encourages her in her faith and helps her to work through some issues with her fiancee.  At the same time, Geesje , struggles to write down her part of the history of how her family helped found the town of Holland fifty years previously.  While these two stories seem unconnected, the reader can see how Geesje's experiences could help Anna -- if only they could meet.  :)

I always enjoy reading Austin's books, and this one has become one of my favorites.  As Anna deals with her faith and how it relates to her relationship with her fiancee, the author does not give easy answers.  The struggles that Geesje dealt with in her early life are heartbreaking, and again, the author does not give trite answers to her suffering.  I usually prefer neat and tidy endings to the books I read, but this one doesn't do that, although the conclusion is satisfying in its own way.  I also enjoyed learning more about why families immigrated to America and about the difficulties they had when setting up new settlements in the mid-1800's.

I want to thank Bethany House Publishers for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: