Monday, September 26, 2016

Loneliness: There's More of it Than You Might Think


I have a confession to make:  I'm lonely.

Are you?

In my humble opinion (for what it's worth), I think more people are lonely than we realize.  Why do I think this?  Because of the women I invite over for lunch and they stay all afternoon.  Because of the women who can't stop talking once they get started because they have so much to say and no one to tell.

Why are we lonely?  I think there are many reasons, but here are a couple.  We're so busy, too busy to spend time with people and really get to know them.  We're also afraid of being vulnerable because others might reject us if they knew who we really are.

Yes, our husbands should be our friends, maybe even our best friends.  But God designed us women to need fellowship from other woman -- just as our husbands need other men friends.

How do we "fix" our loneliness?  I wish I knew!  But I do know one thing that won't help:  waiting around for someone else to seek us out, to initiate something.

You have to take charge and do something yourself.  Invite someone over or out for lunch.  Speak to the other mothers at your child's soccer game.  Introduce yourself to another mother at story time at the library.

If you are blessed enough not to be lonely, I want to plead with you to extend your friendship to other women outside of your circle.  There are women around you who need your friendship, even if you don't really need theirs.

So, are you lonely?  What are you going to do about it?

No comments: