Monday, September 19, 2016

Book Review: Saffire by Sigmund Brouwer



When James Holt arrives in Panama, he is given a mystery to solve:  what happened to a local girl's mother who is presumed to have run away, leaving her daughter behind.  However, the girl Saffire doesn't believe that, and neither does Holt.  But no one will talk about the mystery, and it's obvious that something else is going on.  Using the persistence he learned as a cowboy, Holt perseveres even when his life is threatened.  All of this occurs with the building of the Panama Canal in the background.

First of all, I enjoyed learning more about how the Panama Canal was built, what a monumental endeavor it was.  I also enjoyed the characters:  Holt just wanted to get home to the Dakotas where his daughter was waiting; Saffire was a spunky, streetwise girl; and there were several others who were painted so convincingly.  While the writing is excellent, I just find it frustrating how Brouwer unwraps a little bit of the puzzle at a time, making the reader (and the main character) feel like he's in the dark until the very end of the book.  But I guess that's the point.  :)  However, the intriguing writing kept me reading, and since I've read several of Brouwer's books, I knew what to expect.  I did enjoy the book, and I'm sure I'll read more by this author.

I want to thank Blogging for Books for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: