Wednesday, August 17, 2016

How I Plan My Week: 3 Ideas That Might Help You, Too

 Before my week started.

After the week was over.

John says that with each pregnancy, I've lost more brain cells.  Honestly, I can't remember what I used to know.  :)  Since I just can't keep track of everything that I need to do in a week, I write it all down. It's become somewhat of a joke in our home:  when the kids want me to do something, they remind me to write it down.

I thought you might find something helpful in the way I plan my week.  Maybe you'll find something that will help you plan your week a little better.  Here's how I plan my week:
  1. Write down everything that I want or need to do for the week.  I figure out everything that I need (and sometimes want) to do for the week.  I write it all down because, if I don't write it down, I WILL forget it.  :)  
  2. Figure out what day(s) I will be gone from home.  I look at my calendar to see if/when I will be out of the house.  I try to keep my chores to a minimum on days we're out because I'm tired when we get home, and realistically, I know I won't do them anyway.  For example, last week I had an appointment Wednesday morning, and I knew that we could not accomplish a full day of school before I left.  I hoped we could get a little done, though, so I planned accordingly.
  3. Give everything a day to be done.  Once I know what needs to be done and what day I may not want to do it, I give everything else a day when I will do it.  It's okay if I don't get to it, but I've found that if I don't give each chore a specific day, I put it off -- indefinitely.
  4. Check them off as they are accomplished.  Do you enjoy checking items off your to-do list as much as I do?  :)  Here's another reason to write everything down:  the feeling of accomplishment you get when you check your chores off.  
  5. Re-evaluate during the week.  There will be days when I just can't (or don't want to) get to something, and that's fine.  I circle these items so that I know they still need to be done.  In my "after" picture above, you can see that I circled a few things, and that most of them ended up with a check by them which indicates that I did them on a different day, later in the week.
In my planner, I also keep track of upcoming items that need to be done but that don't have a specific date.  I just put it on the right hand page so that when that week arrives, I know it needs to be done.  

How do you plan your weeks?  I'd love to get some more ideas!

No comments: