Before my week started.
After the week was over.
John says that with each pregnancy, I've lost more brain cells. Honestly, I can't remember what I used to know. :) Since I just can't keep track of everything that I need to do in a week, I write it all down. It's become somewhat of a joke in our home: when the kids want me to do something, they remind me to write it down.
I thought you might find something helpful in the way I plan my week. Maybe you'll find something that will help you plan your week a little better. Here's how I plan my week:
- Write down everything that I want or need to do for the week. I figure out everything that I need (and sometimes want) to do for the week. I write it all down because, if I don't write it down, I WILL forget it. :)
- Figure out what day(s) I will be gone from home. I look at my calendar to see if/when I will be out of the house. I try to keep my chores to a minimum on days we're out because I'm tired when we get home, and realistically, I know I won't do them anyway. For example, last week I had an appointment Wednesday morning, and I knew that we could not accomplish a full day of school before I left. I hoped we could get a little done, though, so I planned accordingly.
- Give everything a day to be done. Once I know what needs to be done and what day I may not want to do it, I give everything else a day when I will do it. It's okay if I don't get to it, but I've found that if I don't give each chore a specific day, I put it off -- indefinitely.
- Check them off as they are accomplished. Do you enjoy checking items off your to-do list as much as I do? :) Here's another reason to write everything down: the feeling of accomplishment you get when you check your chores off.
- Re-evaluate during the week. There will be days when I just can't (or don't want to) get to something, and that's fine. I circle these items so that I know they still need to be done. In my "after" picture above, you can see that I circled a few things, and that most of them ended up with a check by them which indicates that I did them on a different day, later in the week.
In my planner, I also keep track of upcoming items that need to be done but that don't have a specific date. I just put it on the right hand page so that when that week arrives, I know it needs to be done.
How do you plan your weeks? I'd love to get some more ideas!