Wednesday, August 24, 2016

But Do They Know How to Do it?


Last week, Daniel got a puzzle out, worked on it for a while, and then started to put it away.  I wondered what had happened since he had separated out all of the outside pieces and already started to put them together.  My daughters are puzzle fiends, and I couldn't understand why he was giving up so quickly -- until I asked.

It turns out that Daniel did not know what to do next with the puzzle.  He had heard me telling his sisters many times to separate out the edge pieces, so he did that.  But I had never sat down with him and explained what to do after that.

This time I did.  I stopped him from putting away the puzzle, and I worked with him, teaching him how to put together a puzzle by working on small sections at a time until he got the whole thing done.

This experience made me wonder:  how many times have I expected my children to do something without teaching them how to do it?  That's not fair, is it?  And it sets them up for failure which is discouraging and makes them not want to try new things.

I determined after this experience to make sure that I've shown my children how to do something before asking them to do it, to make sure they know what they're doing.

Do you ever make this mistake?  How did/do you deal with it?

No comments: