Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Three Ways to Find Time for Yourself


Being a mother requires sacrifice.  Not only do we give of our time and energy all day long, but we even give of our bodies when we carry and nurse our children.  Of course, this sacrifice is worth it, but in order to give to our families, we have to recharge ourselves first.  How do we do that?  Well, part of recharging ourselves involves doing something that we enjoy, something that may not have anything to do with our family.

For me, resting and recharging usually involves reading and knitting or crocheting.  I've already given you five ways to find time to read more, and now I want to give you three ways to find time to do something you love.
  1. Nap time/play time.  Train your children to spend some time in the afternoon without you.  During Hannah's afternoon nap, I send my older children upstairs to play.  They can play in their rooms or the playroom, by themselves or with others.  I don't care.  They just need to be upstairs playing relatively quietly while I have some time to myself downstairs.  (I don't even usually care how much mess they make, although they will have to clean it up later.)
  2. Evening.  In a blog I read a couple of years ago (I wish I remember where it was), the writer told how she stops her housework at 7:30 every evening.  As mothers, we know our chores never end, so we have to set a time that we're just going to stop.  Otherwise, we could keep going all night long.  :)  I try to stop my housework after I clean up the kitchen in the evening after supper.  After that, I can read a book or work on my current knitting project.
  3. Early morning.  The time before children wake up in the morning could be a wonderful time to work on something that you enjoy.  I have to admit that I don't do this, other than a little reading, but I'm thinking about it.  John gets up at 4:30 most mornings, and I could get up with him and use the extra time productively.  But it's so early, and I just don't know that I have that much drive.  :)
One thing, though, that you need to keep in mind.  These times are for you to rest and recharge, working on something that you love.  Unless you just love cleaning your bathroom, this is not the time for that.  I understand how nice it feels just to know that your bathroom is clean, but you need to take a break from the chores to spend some time on yourself.  As you recharge, you'll have more energy for your family which benefits everyone.

What do you love to do?  How do you find time for it?

No comments: