Monday, July 25, 2016

July Books

I love this picture!

I enjoyed almost all of the books I read this month, so it was a good month for reading!  I was able to get a good amount of reading done while at the beach.  Also, I've had more time this summer for reading since we're not doing school.  Oh, and reading while walking/jogging on the treadmill gives me more time, too.  :)
  • None Like Him:  10 Ways God is Different from us (and Why That's a Good Thing) by Jen Wilkin.  This wonderful book does exactly what the subtitle suggests, and I highly recommend it.  Wilkin's writing is interesting and straight forward, and she does a great job teaching about God and how His differences from us should impact us.
  • The Heroic Boldness of Martin Luther by Steven J. Lawson.  I thought this book would be a biography of the great reformer, but it was more of an exposition on what he believed and how he related it to others.  It was very informative, and our country would be helped tremendously if pastors would read this book and follow Luther's example.
  • Aleutian Sparrow by Karen Hesse.  This sad book tells the heart-wrenching story of how the Aleuts were removed from their islands by the threat of the Japanese during World War II.  It reminded a lot of how we treated Japanese Americans during the same time.  I wish I could read more about these people during this time, but I can't find anything else.  And that makes me more sad, knowing that this story might be forgotten.
  • The Seahorse Legacy by Serena Chase.  Rollicking good fun, this book made me wish my workouts on the treadmill were longer -- almost.  :)  Erielle, a new knight and the first woman knight in the kingdom, keeps making foolish decisions which place the princess in danger.  Finally, she realizes how harmful her pride and immaturity are, but is it too late?  
  • The Sunken Realm by Serena Chase.  The sequel to The Seahorse Legacy, in this book, Erielle is married to the pirate Cazien, although neither of them loves the other.  What I enjoyed most about this book is how Cazien purposed to love Erielle, and then he did!  I appreciate how the author uses this book to show that love is not just an emotion, it's an action, something that you can do even when you don't feel like it.  But I also enjoyed the rest of the story as Cazien and Erielle dispense justice on the high seas, rescuing kidnapped children from slavery.
  • The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith.  I thought I would never finish this book!  And it's not that long.  The story was slow as it followed Isabel trying to figure out what happened to a young man whom she saw fall to his death.  Was it murder?  Or was it an accident as the police ruled?  Ugh!  I'm done with this series.
  • The Case for Classical Education by Douglas Wilson.  Even though this book was written twenty years ago, its points are still valid.  Wilson shows how public schools fail our children, how they can't be reformed, and then he gives his alternative:  Christian private school.  I think he is too hard on homeschoolers, not willing to believe they are capable of teaching all subjects at home themselves, but, like I said, this book was written twenty years ago when homeschooling wasn't as big as it is now, and he may have changed his opinions somewhat.
What have you read lately?

No comments: