Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Five Tips for Getting Where You're Going on Time


Do you struggle to get places on time?  Does it seem like you're always late?  I hate to be late, but with five children it still happens.  It's hard to get out the door in time to be on time.   And getting out the door on time without running around the house like a chicken with its head cut off, yelling at my children, well, that takes some planning.  :)  Here are five things I did a few weeks ago, when we had CC Practicum, that you can do to help get you and your children out the door with the time you need to get where you're going.

1.  Figure out when you need to be where you're going.  For example, you can't arrive when church begins and get in the sanctuary on time, if you have children you need to drop off in the nursery first.  You need to get there a little early in order to get things done before it starts.  When we went to Practicum, my class started at 9:00, and I knew I needed some extra time to get my children to their classes, so I planned to arrive at 8:45.  And don't forget that it takes a few minutes to buckle children into carseats and unbuckle them when you get there.

2.  Do as much as you can beforehand.    Pack snacks, lay out clothes, stock up the diaper bag; all of these things can be done early to help get you out the door on time.  I packed our lunches the night before except for the cold things which I tossed in before we left.  Knowing that the diaper bag was ready to go every morning along with everything else we needed kept my mind quiet and settled, not worried about having to find everything in a rush.

3.  Make a plan for your morning.  Figure out how long each thing takes that needs to happen before you leave.  Add up all of that time, and you know what time you need to wake up.  If you really feel ambitious, break your morning up into time segments.  I did this and found it very helpful.  I knew that I needed to eat breakfast and finish packing lunches between 6:30 and 7:00, so that I could feed and dress Hannah at 7:00.  That left me time to finish getting ready so we could get out the door at 8:00.

4.  Add in Extra Time.  When I was doing all of this planning, I also built in some extra time just because.  You know how things go:  there are always unexpected things that happen when you have to get out the door in a hurry.  :)  I didn't think it would really take me thirty minutes to eat breakfast and finish making lunches, but with four children to feed, it did.

5.  Add in more extra time.  This extra time is for the drive because you never know what might happen on the way:  an accident, traffic, a detour.  Fifteen minutes is probably enough because you also don't want to arrive too early.  :)

Bonus:  Get household chores out of the way as much as possible.  If you're going to be out of the house for several days in a row, you might want to get some of your normal household duties done beforehand as well.  Since we were gone three days in a row, I washed all of our laundry the weekend before Practicum so that I didn't have to worry about doing any laundry those days.  And I planned easy meals so there wasn't much preparation or clean up.

So, did I make it to Practicum on time every morning?  Yes, I did.  And because I had spent some time planning ahead and getting ready, I wasn't ruffled and harried as we left the house.

What tips do you have for getting places on time?

No comments: