Monday, June 27, 2016

Books I Read in June

I love seeing my children read!

I decided this month to work more on reading books which are edifying, but I only got one finished (the first one in the list).  It was very good, though, and definitely worth another read in a year or two.
  • Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child  by Anthony Esolen.  Obviously written tongue in cheek, this book contains valuable information on how to cultivate your children's imaginations instead of destroying them.  It is easy to read, fast-paced, and filled with funny anecdotes.  If you have a child, you should read this book!
  • A Branch of Silver, A Branch of Gold by Anne Elisabeth Stengl.  This wonderful adventure is based on the fairy tale of the twelve dancing princesses.  When Heloise's sister Evette disappears in the middle of a dance, no one even remembers that she existed.  Heloise has to figure out where her sister has been taken and how to free her with the help of Benedict, the son of the lord of the estate.
  • As Close to Us as Breathing by Elizabeth Poliner.  I have to admit that I didn't enjoy this book as much as I hoped.  When a child dies after being hit by a truck, his Jewish family reacts in different ways, each one blaming himself for what happened.  This book follows the family before and after the accident.  The hopelessness and blame each person feels is really sad.  I found myself thinking that they needed Jesus.  But it's only a book.  :)
  • The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse.  The idea behind this children's book was intriguing:  a girl has grown up with dolphins for so long that she thinks she is one.  When she is found, people try to rehabilitate her and show her that she's human.  This book was okay but also had a hopeless feel to it.  I wanted to read it before Sarah Beth to make sure it was okay for her, and it was.
  • Worlds Unseen by Rachel Starr Thomson.  This book is another Christian fantasy in which the true King has been forgotten, but He is working among the people to remind them that He exists and is coming.  A battle is fought and won, but the real war is still coming.
What have you read this month?

No comments: