Monday, June 20, 2016

Book Review: I Love You Just Because by Donna Keith


I Love You Just Because by Donna Keith tells the story of three cubs whose parents remind them that they love them just because they are their children.  They also tell them that they are special just because of who they are.  The message conveyed in this book is a wonderful one, but I had some problems with the book.

First of all, it's hard to read.  The cubs' names are Panda, Polar, and Brown.  With this book written as a poem, it's hard to read "Polar" without stumbling because it doesn't say "Polar Bear."  Maybe a minor point, but it's much more pleasant to read books to children when they flow smoothly.

Also, the parents are brown bears.  How did they get a polar bear cub and a panda bear cub?  All of the cubs look so differently; see the picture on the cover above.  I understand the point Keith is trying to make, but the pictures look very unnatural, and like the reading, are a little awkward.

I think this book could be a really good one with some tweaking.  I especially appreciated the Bible verses on each page, how relevant they were to the story.  As it is, though, I think I'll pass this book along to someone else instead of keeping it for my children.

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: