Monday, May 2, 2016

April Reading



Since I've been kind of busy lately, I decided to take April and just read fiction.  Some of it was good, and some of it wasn't.  And some was, well, different.  :)  I have several non-fiction books waiting on my shelf, though, and I can't wait to dive in!
  • The Only Best Place by Carolyne Aarsen.  When Leslie's husband's shop goes out of business, they move with their two children back to the town where he grew up and where all of his family live.  His family don't approve of Leslie, so she doesn't like them.  As the year goes by, Leslie is forced to work on her relationships with her husband and his family as she also comes to see what Christ did for her.  I really enjoyed this book about a married couple learning to appreciate each other again.
  • The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery.  Apparently, this book is the only one Montgomery wrote for adults.  Valancy leads a dull, drab life doing what everyone else wants her to do until she receives a fatal diagnosis.  Then she decides to live life to the fullest, shocking everyone around her because it's so out of character.  While this book starts off a little slowly, it is a wonderful story, and it's a little deeper than her children's books.
  • A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.  I was given this book, or I wouldn't have read it, honestly.  While there is something about curmudgeon Ove that I liked at the beginning, there was a lot that I didn't.  :)  But the more I read this book about a man wanting to die, and how his neighbors keep interfering, the more I enjoyed it.  Underneath Ove's gruff exterior is a soft, squishy heart.  As you learn more about his past, you realize why he is the way he is, and you come to like him better.  It makes me wish to live in such a close-knit neighborhood.  Warning:  there is a good bit of profanity.
  • King's Folly by Jill Williamson.  I enjoyed this book so much that I can't wait for the next one to come out!  You can read my review here.
  • A Mighty Fortress by Faith Blum.  I read this book on my kindle while feeding Hannah before putting her to bed.  It wasn't very good because there wasn't any real conflict.  A boy and girl escape from a stagecoach robbery, and one of the outlaws keeps after them (off and on) for a couple of years.
What have you read lately?

No comments: