Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Book Review: King's Folly by Jill Williamson


In King's Folly by Jill Williamson, the Five Realms are falling apart.  There are several prophecies that state that the world will be destroyed by the Five Woes, and it appears that time is now.  Princes Wilek and Trevn along with their friends first have to discover this fact and then figure out how to deal with it.  Apparently, the Creator-God is destroying the world because the people have rejected him and started worshipping false gods.

The author tells the story from several of the main characters points of view.  While this may seem confusing, I didn't find it to be so.  I had no problem following the story, especially since the title of each chapter was the person's name about whom that chapter was.  (That's an awkward sentence, isn't it?  :)  )  I appreciated the fact that only the "good guys" were followed like this and none of the "bad guys."

After finishing the book, I read the author's notes which said that she based this story on the history of Israel, how that nation rejected God, sought after false gods, and then was destroyed, leaving only a remnant.  Interesting.

When I started this book, I wasn't sure how well I would like it.  It seemed very long, and it took a little while to figure out what was going on because there are a few titles that the author made up without explaining them, e.g. sar for prince and shield for his bodyguard.  However, the more I read, the more I enjoyed the book and couldn't wait to see what happened.  I look forward to reading the rest of this series as the survivors rebuild their world.

I want to thank Bethany House for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: