Monday, February 29, 2016

February Reading



I haven't had much time to read this month, what with having a baby and everything.  :)  But I did get a few books read.  I have to admit that I read most of the first one in January and worked hard to finish it before Hannah came.
  • Lost to the West:  The Forgotten Byzantine Empire that Rescued Western Civilization by Lars Brownworth.  This book tells all about the Byzantine Empire; have you even heard of the Byzantine Empire?  I didn't know much about it.  But it was the eastern part of the Roman Empire after Diocletian divided it, and then Constantine established the capital at Constantinople.  Basically, the Roman Empire was not destroyed when Rome fell; it lived on in Constantinople until the 1400's.  The people considered themselves Romans until the day their city was sacked.  And they did immeasurable good as they defended Western Europe from the invaders coming from farther East:  the Monguls, Persians, Muslims, etc.
  • Burning Paradise by Robert Charles Wilson.  I bought a box from Novel Tea Club via Crate Joy, and this book came in it.  In an alternate reality where World War II did not happen, the world has been surrounded by an alien organism which monitors and controls radio broadcasts.  This organism also has the ability to produce beings that look and act just like humans so that it is hard to know whom to trust.  I'm not sure what else to say about this book except that it wasn't one I would have chosen to read and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  With that said, I still wouldn't recommend it; it wasn't that good.  And I didn't care for the foul language and gore.
  • Fit to Burst:  Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood by Rachel Jankovic.  I enjoyed this excellent book about being a mother.  It contains advice that hits at the heart of what makes us Christian mothers discontent.
  • Emily of New Moon by L. M.  Montgomery.  Another charming book about an orphan from the author of Anne of Green Gables.  Need I say more?  :)
What have you read lately?  Have you ever ordered a box from Crate Joy or another place like it?

No comments: