Monday, January 11, 2016

Weekly Update on My January Goals

This little girl is having a birthday later this month; turning six is exciting!

Because I made goals for January instead of the whole year, I thought I would keep you updated weekly on how I'm doing.  Actually, I'm using you to hold me accountable to finish what I've started.  :)  I'm posting about my progress on Monday because it lets me use all of Friday and Saturday to finish things, if I need that extra time.

First of all, I doubled my lasagna recipe and divided it into four 8x8 pans.  I froze three for the time after the baby comes.  Three more meals in the freezer makes seven in there altogether!

Secondly, I worked with Sarah Beth four times this week with her CC Essentials schoolwork.  My goal was four times.  She's not behind in her work, but it is a lot of information, and I want her to have a good grasp on it before we start back with CC in a few weeks.

Third, as I told you last week, one of my goals for this month is to complete Kathi Lipp's Clutter Free Academy, and I thought it would be fun to document everything that I'm getting rid of -- at least, for me!

Day 1:  Paperwork.  I don't tend to keep much paperwork, so I didn't have too much to go through, especially since I just went through our filing cabinet last year.  However, I do have a problem with recipes:  I print them out and tear them out of magazines, and I never rarely try them.  So I went through my recipe notebook and was able to throw out 125 recipes that my family didn't like or that I know I will never try.  My notebook is much skinner now, and lighter, too!

Day 2:  Bedroom.  I don't usually let things pile up in our bedroom, and I've been decluttering lately anyway, so I wasn't sure that I could come up with 25 things.  But there were a few things in there that we had hidden away when we had a Christmas party that I hadn't put back where they belong, so I took care of that.  Then I tackled my jewelry box.  Oh, my!  I hadn't gone through my earrings since I got my ears pierced nearly 25 years ago, and I was able to get rid of a bunch along with some other cheap, ugly things I had held onto for too long.  All together, I got rid of 46 things from my bedroom.  Hooray!  (Now I'm not scared to open my jewelry box, and I can actually wear some of my necklaces since they're not all tangled up anymore.)

Day 3:  Kitchen Counters.  Since I hate having cluttered counters, mine were already pretty clear.  I was surprised, though, to find ten things on them that I could move or get rid of.  I also tackled my recipe books and old recipe magazines.  I was able to discard all but one of the magazines and twelve of the books which opened up some room on my kitchen shelves.

Day 4:  Home Office.  While we don't have a home office, we do have a desk in the kitchen where we keep our computer.  There are a few shelves above the computer, too.  I cleaned a few things off the shelves, mostly expired coupons.  (I was surprised to find one that expired in 2014 -- until I found one that expired in 2013.  :) )  Then I went through the two drawers in the desk and cleaned out a few more things.  All together, I was able to get rid of 54 things.

Day 5:  Pantry.  My pantry had been a mess, and I kept putting off cleaning it out.  But once I started, it actually became kind of fun -- although a little disgusting, considering how much expired food (mostly pasta) I found on the shelves.  I cleaned out enough stuff (46 things!) that I was able to clear off the floor (yes, it was that full) and sweep it out.  Even my children noticed that it was much cleaner and neater!

So I've gotten five of the fourteen days of decluttering done, and it's gratifying.  If you come over, you won't be able to see that I've done much decluttering because the spaces are so small -- except for maybe the pantry.  But I know, and I feel so much lighter with all of that stuff gone.  :)

I just want to add that everything I've gotten rid of has been mine (well, except for the broken toy I found in the pantry), so my husband and children aren't freaking out.  ;)

I look forward to getting more done this week!

How are you doing with your goals for the month?

No comments: