Thursday, January 28, 2016

Books I Read in January


The other day, Rachel asked me if I were in school.  I told her that I'm not, but that I do try to read books that will teach me things and that I think it's a good idea to keep learning throughout our lives.  Over the past couple of months, I've really tried to read educational books, not just novels.  Here is what I read (or finished) in January.
  • Freedom by Kevin Swanson.  This book starts off with a look at men who fought for God-given freedom in the Bible and in England, Scotland, Ireland, Holland, and the United States.  I really enjoyed the history told from a Christian perspective, how these men tried to do what God would have them do.  The second part of the book tells how we are losing (and have already lost) many of the freedoms those men have fought for.  Our government is becoming more and more tyrannical as it steals our liberties, and we don't even care.  This part of the book was not enjoyable, but it was educational.
  • The Color of the Soul by Tracey Bateman.  This book goes back and forth, telling the story of  a slave during the War Between the States and a black man in the 1940's.  Both stories have hard parts to them, realistic parts, but the author redeems those parts.  And the way she ties these two people together at the end is worth the read.
  • Friends of the Heart by Emilie Barnes and Donna Otto.  A great read about being a friend.  Unfortunately, I feel like most of the advice just wasn't relevant to those of us with children who aren't in school.  While I would love to get together frequently with my friends for lunch or whatever, it's hard to coordinate when we both have children.  Yes, I know that I can invite my friend and her children over, but it's just not the same.  :)
  • Beyond the Silence by Tracie Peterson and Kimberley Woodhouse.  You can read my full review here.
  • Excellent Women by Barbara Pym.  Recently, I read Honey for a Woman's Heart by Gladys Hunt, and I wrote down many books that I thought I would enjoy reading.  This book was the first one I read, and I have to admit that I was disappointed.  Set in the 1950's, Mildred is a 30 year old spinster who gets involved in her downstairs neighbors' marriage and her vicar's engagement, too involved.  There wasn't much to this book, and it was frustrating to watch Mildred get taken advantage of by her friends.  I don't think I'll read another book by this author.  However, I'm sure there are many other great reads in my list, so I look forward to reading those.
  • A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck.  This hilarious books tells about the visits a boy and his sister have with their grandmother every summer during the 1930's.  I laughed out loud so many times while I read this book, and I even sent my mother a copy because I knew she would enjoy it, too!
  • Lord Peter Wimsey:  Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers.  This book was another recommendation I found in Honey for a Woman's Heart, and it's another one that I didn't quite enjoy.  :)  Lord Peter is an amateur detective who is trying to figure out how a naked body ended up in an acquaintance's bathtub.  Meanwhile, his friend Parker, who is a police detective, is trying to solve a murder.  Somehow these two cases seem to be related, but how?  This book takes place shortly after World War I, so I enjoyed that aspect of it, but the story was a little gruesome.  
What have you read lately?  Anything worth a recommendation?

No comments: