Saturday, January 2, 2016

Book Review: The Midwife's Choice by Delia Parr


In The Midwife's Choice by Delia Parr, Martha delivers babies and treats other women and children in a small town along with dealing with other of the town's problems.  From the old seaman who has just gone blind to the woman who's husband is beating her, Martha carries these burdens on her shoulders.  Meanwhile, her daughter is in town for a visit, and Martha has to figure out where their relationship stands, as well.  When she remembers to ask God for wisdom and help, He supplies it.

I enjoyed this book, especially learning about midwifery a hundred years ago.  I did not love this book, however, as I felt like the author wanted Martha to solve every single one of the town's troubles.  (I ended up being wrong about this, as I discovered toward the end of the book.)  The story was good and the characters likable, but there just seemed to be something missing, the "something" that would have made it a great story.  Also, and this is minor thing, but everyone in the book "murmured;" that word appeared on almost every page.  Couldn't someone have whispered, spoken quietly, or even muttered?

If you want to learn more about midwifery in the 1800's, you should read this book and the one before it.  If not, you still may enjoy the story.  I did.

I want to thank Bethany House for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: