Sunday, November 22, 2015

Book Review: The Stone of Ebenezer by Susan Van Volkenburgh


The Stone of Ebenezer by Susan Van Volkenburgh tells the fictionalized story of when the Israelites took the Ark of the Covenant into battle with the Philistines -- and the Philistines captured the ark.  This tale follows the Israelite soldier Nagad as he witnesses the capture, and it also follows four Philistine soldiers who observe the devastating effects that God wields upon the Philistines until they return His Ark.  The last third of the book also deals with the return of the Ark and the subsequent defeat of the Philistines.

I did not enjoy this book; I could not read it fast enough to get it over and done with.  While the story was fine (not good, not bad), the writing left much to be desired.  The author tried to write poetically, to the extent that a few times I read and reread a passage and could not fathom what she meant, other than that the sun came up.  It also seemed as though she used a thesaurus, looking for new words, without actually knowing what they meant or how they should be used.  A good editor could have fixed that along with some of the grammatical errors.  Maybe that's what she needed.

If you enjoy reading fictionalized Biblical history, you might enjoy this book -- if you can overlook the problems that I just couldn't.

I want to thank BookLook Bloggers for my (kindle) copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: