Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Book Review: The Shock of Night by Patrick W. Carr


When I saw that Patrick W. Carr had another book coming out, I knew that I would read it because I enjoyed his last series The Sword and the Staff so much.  The Shock of Night has a new protagonist in a new world, but the writing is just as good.  Willet Dura has recently become the king's reeve, basically, the king's own detective.  He is very good at what he does, so when a man is murdered and the religious groups want the king to leave it alone, he asks Willet to investigate, quietly, of course.  Willet does and becomes drawn into experiences that he never thought possible and gains a kind of power he really doesn't want.

I really enjoyed this latest book from Carr.  His heroes are flawed men:  the hero from his last series was a recovering alcoholic, whereas some people think Willet is insane.  (I'll leave it for the reader to decide if they are correct.)  But Willet uses his mind and talents and discovers what others are unable and/or unwilling to find.  And watching him grow into his newfound ability is fun to watch, especially when he uses it against those who try to manipulate him.

If you're interested in this book, you should start with Carr's prequel, a free e-book By Divine Right which tells how Willet becomes the king's reeve.

I look forward to seeing how Willet's tale progresses in the rest of this series!

I want to thank Bethany House for my review copy of this book, but my opinions are my own.

No comments: